Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Jun 6th, F-4 Phantom II

Today's post is a continuation of the many aircraft photos I took while assigned to Da Nang Air Base during 1965-66. Perhaps one of the most versatile of the various jet-aircraft deployed to Vietnam was the F-4 Phantom II. It was fielded by the U.S. Navy, Marines and Air Force in various versions and configurations.

USAF paint scheme.

Marines version equipped with Napalm bombs.


Navy version with empty bomb rack.

Peeling-off in preparation for landing.


After landing, drag chute deployed.


Take-off.


Taking-off. Extra fuel tanks, camera and Vulcan gun pods visible.


Parked on the tarmac.


Close-up of the infra-red sensor under this Phantom's nose. Note the photographer with his Nikon F!


Mission-ready. (Fungus damaged slide photo.)


F-4 tail detail and flight-line "tug".


Mission ready.




Heading out in the sun-set.


Taxiing.


Take-off.


Landing with drag-chute deployed.


Nose detail.


I am guessing that it's landing, as I don't detect any trailing heat waves.


USAF Phantoms parked in the revetments.


Air Force "bird" getting a little maintenance.


Sidewinder and a spare... because you never know!


Tail art.


More tail art.


Preparing to fire up.


Close-up of camera and Vulcan gun pods.


Another Marine Corps version with Napalm bombs.


2 comments:

  1. My father, Capt. Jim Becker, was the RIO and 1st Lt. John Pierce the pilot who flew the very plane you have in your "Preparing to Fire Up" photo. They were VMFA-542 "Tigers" and I have photos of them in Da Nang sitting on and in #7 0996 dated July 1965!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Robert,
    Thank you for taking the time to comment. Looks like it was a pretty late night for you!
    Anyway, if you agree, I'd be more than happy to update my caption for that photo with your information.
    In the early 90's I worked with a WWII vet at Camp Zama, Japan - Paul Becker. Probably not related, but he
    was a former signal officer in the Army.
    It's a small world.
    Thanks again!
    Take care,
    R. D.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments and requests are welcome!